Frequently Asked Questions
Some common misconceptions about tooth whitening
- Tooth whitening strips the top layer of enamel!
- Professional Tooth whitening dissolves stains, breaks up pigments in the teeth, and changes the optical properties of enamel. It does not abrade the enamel and is a safe and effective treatment.
- Whitening toothpaste and over the counter whitening kits are as good as professional tooth whitening.
- Whitening toothpaste and over the counter kits contain less than 0.1% hydrogen peroxide, the active ingredient required to whiten your teeth. Using strengths higher than this can only be carrued out by registered dental professionals. Following thorough assessment and ensuring you are dentally stable, registered dental professionals can whiten your teeth with strengths of hydrogen peroxide of up to 6%.
- I can whiten my teeth using home remedies such as acidic fruits or bicarbonate of soda.
- Using such remedies can seriously abrade and erode the enamel causing it to become much thinner. As a result your teeth will become yellower due to the dentine under the enamel showing through and they can also become much more sensitive!
What is professional teeth whitening?
At Combe Road Dental, we offer home tooth whitening. Your dentist will carry out a thorough pre-treatment assessment to make sure you are suitable and achieve an excellent whitening result.
Once it has been decided you are suitable for treatment, we will make some tight-fitting whitening tray for your mouth. These are similar to a mouthguard but are much thinner.
We will then prescribe you some premium whitening gel that is applied to the whitening trays which are worn for either a set amount of time during the day or overnight while you sleep. The whole whitening procedure takes around 4 weeks in which time you will see a dramatic improvement in the shade of the teeth.
How does tooth whitening work?
The active ingredient in tooth whitening gel is hydrogen peroxide. This breaks up stain molecules in the teeth making them appear brighter.
One of the main advantages of tooth whitening is that you can get a marked improvement in the appearance of your teeth.
Is teeth whitening bad for your teeth?
No! Professional teeth whitening involves the use of a gel which will break down dark pigment molecules in your teeth to make them lighter. Non-professional solutions and remedies can be harmful though.
How long does teeth whitening last?
Depending on your habits the results can last for years. We provide you with a system where you can top-up the results at home very easily. As long as you keep the trays, you will just need to buy a top up of gel.
Does teeth whitening make my teeth sensitive?
Teeth whitening can temporarily make your teeth a little more sensitive to cold stimulus. This sensitivity will go away when you stop the whitening.
Veneers are custom-made thin coverings of porcelain made to fit over the outer surface of your front teeth to improve their colour, shape and position
Professional teeth whitening is an easy, safe and comfortable process to brighten up your smile
Cosmetic Bonding is a procedure where the dentist adds a special-coloured resin to your teeth to improve their appearance and shape